Ingredients for Meringue:
Ingredients for Filling:
Directions for Meringue:
1) Beat egg whites and cream and tartar until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time.
2) Continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
3) Beat in vanilla.
Directions for Filling:
1) Bake pie shell, put aside.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3) Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
4) In a medium-sized bowl, gradually stir at least half the hot mixture into egg yolks. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan to mix with the remaining mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute.
5) Remove from heat, stir in butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Pour into baked pie shell.
6) Heap meringue onto hot pie filling, spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking.
7) Bake ~10 minutes. Cool.